Nicole E. Gross, M.D. is a fellowship-trained medical retina specialist with expertise in diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration. She is an experienced principal investigator and sub-investigator for national clinical trials. She completed her vitreoretinal fellowship training under the mentorship of the renowned Dr. Lawrence Yannuzzi at Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, one of the top three medical retina programs in the U.S. Dr. Gross also is fellowship-trained in ocular and retinal imaging. She is an OCT imaging expert who received an international retinal research award to study OCT imaging in its infancy and prior to commercial availability of OCT diagnostic imaging machines for clinical in-office use. Dr. Gross graduated from Yale University and Temple University School of Medicine.
Joined Moore Eye Institute: 2022
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
- Eye Exam for Diabetic Patients
- Diabetic Retinopathy – Laser/Injection
- Intraocular Inflammatory Disease
- Macular Degeneration
- Macular Disorders
- Macular Edema
- Retinal Edema
- Retinal Infection
- Medical Retina Fellowship, Vitreous-Retina-Macula Consultants of New York / Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital
- Ophthalmology Residency, MCP-Hahnemann University, Department of Ophthalmology
- Internship, Abington Memorial Hospital
- Temple University School of Medicine
- Retina and Diabetic Eye Specialist, Moore Eye Institute
- Clinical Professor, Faculty Retina Clinic, Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Clinical Instructor, Retina Clinic, New York University / Bellvue Hospital
- Clinical Instructor, Retina Clinic, Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Scientific Advisory Board, Genentech
- Ophthalmic Women Leaders
Research Papers and Publications
Peer Reviewed Original Contributions:
- Goren JF, Shah SP, Janzen GP, Gross NE, Duker Diffuse retinal pigment epithelial disease in an adult with cystic fibrosis. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2011 Jun 9;42 Online:e56-8. doi: 10.3928/15428877-20110602-04.
- Forooghian F, Stetson PF, Gross NE, Meyerle Quantitative assessment of photoreceptor recovery in atypical multiple evanescent white dot syndrome. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2010 Nov-Dec;41 Suppl:S77-80. doi: 10.3928/15428877-20101031-06.
- Sarup V, Wald KJ, Gross NE, Athanikar AN, Siringo Spontaneous resolution of unilateral vitreomacular traction. Ann Ophthalmol. 2006;38(4):347-9.
- Gross NE, Yannuzzi LA, Freund KB, Spaide RF, Amato GP, Sigal Multiple evanescent white dot syndrome. Arch Ophthalmol. 2006;124(4):493-500.
- Gross NE, Aizman A, Brucker A, et al. Nature and risk of neovascularization in the fellow eye of patients with unilateral retinal angiomatous Retina. 2005; 25(6):713-8.
- Klais CM, Ober MD, Freund KB, Ginsburg LH, Luckie A, Mauget-Faysse M, Coscas G, Gross NE, Yannuzzi LA.Choroidal infarction following photodynamic therapy with verteporfin.. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005; 123(8):1149-53.
- Spaide RF, Klancnik JM Jr, Gross NE. Retinal choroidal collateral circulation after radial optic neurotomy correlated with the lessening of macular Retina. 2004; 24(3):356-9.
- Brucker AJ, Spaide RF, Gross NE et Optical coherence tomography of X-linked retinoschisis. Retina. 2004; 241:151-2.
- Fisher YL, Gross NE, Wang Inexpensive Illuminated Vitrectomy Cutter. Retina. 2003; 23:891.
- Costa DL, Huang SJ, Orlock DA, Freund KB,Yannuzzi LA, Spaide RF, Gross NE. Retinal-choroidal indocyanine green dye clearance and liver dysfunction. Retina. 2003; 23:557-61.
- Lee J, Spaide RF, Klancnik J, Gross Optical Coherence Tomography of Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion. Retina. 2003; 23:343-7.
- Yannuzzi LA, Slakter JS, Gross NE et Indocyanine Green Guided Photodynamic Therapy for Treatment of Chronic Central Serous Chorioretinopathy, a pilot study. Retina. 2003; 23:288-98.
- Huang SJ, Gross NE, Costa DL,Yannuzzi Optical Coherence Tomography findings in Photic Maculopathy. Retina 2003; 23:863-6.
- Huang SJ, Costa DL, Gross NE, Yannuzzi Peripheral Drusen in Membrano- proliferative Glomerulonephritis Type II. Retina. 2003;23:429-31.
- Shields CL, Shields JA, Gross NE, et Survey of 520 Eyes with Uveal Metastases. Ophthalmology 1997; 104:1265-76.
- Gunduz K, Shields CL, Shields JA, Meadows AT, Gross NE, et al. The Outcome of Chemoreduction treatment in patients with Reese Ellsworth Group V Retinoblastoma, Archives of Ophthalmology 1998; 116:1613-1617.
- Shields CL, Shields JA, Gunduz K, Cater J, Mercado GV, Gross NE, Lally B. Conjunctival Risk factors for recurrence, exenteration, metastasis, and death in 150 consecutive patients. Archives of Ophthalmology 2000; 118:1497-1507.
Other Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Yannuzzi LA, Gross NE, Sorenson JA, et Retinal Amgiomatous Proliferation, a review, in Review of Ophthalmology, May 2003.
- Fundus Imaging: Today & Gross NE, Ober MD, Yannuzzi LA. New Orleans Acadamy of Ophthalmology. Februaury 2004.
- Ophthalmic Gross NE, Ober MD, Yannuzzi LA. Japan Society of Ophthalmology. March 2004.
Books & Book Chapters:
- Fisher YL, Ciardella A, Gross NE. “Clinical Ultrasound” in Ophthalmology, Yanoff M Duker J, second edition, Mosby; New York: 2003, third edition 2005.
- Gross NE, Slakter JS, Smithen LM, et “Diagnostic Indocyanine Green Angiography: Clinical Applications” in Duane’s Ophthalmology, Tasman W, Jaeger EA. 5th edition, Lippincott; Philadelphia: 2004.
- Gross NE, Slakter “Digital Angiography Reading Centers” in Atlas of Fundus Imaging, Coscas G, Paris: 2004.
- Gross NE, Yannuzzi “Clinical Applications of Indocyanine Green Angiography” in Ryan’s RETINA, 4th edition, New York: 2004.
Scientific Presentations and Posters
American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, October 2002: Symposium on Cataract Surgery, Topic: The Kelman PAL technique.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, October 2002: Clinical Course in Cataract surgery, Topic: Cataract complications.
- ARVO Annual meeting, May 2003: Symposium on new technology, Topic: Combined SLO-OCT prototype and fluorescein angiography.
- Vitreous Society Annual Meeting, August 2003: poster, Gross et al, Limitations in OCT-3 Imaging.
- Retina Society Annual Meeting, September 2003: lecture, Topic: Pearls & Pitfalls in OCT-3 Imaging.
- Michaelson Macular Degeneration Symposium, September 2003: lecture, Topic: Pearls & Pitfalls in OCT-3 Imaging.
- Atlantic Coast Retina Club & annual Wills Eye Hospital Conference, October 2003:retina cases, lecture, Topic: Pearls & Pitfalls in OCT-3 Imaging.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, November 2003: poster, Gross et al., Pearls & Pitfalls in OCT-3 Imaging.
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT): The State of the Art, The Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, January 2004: workshop & lecture, Topic: using the OCT American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, Annual Meeting March 2004: Imaging Symposium: “Don’t let your residents know more than you…” lecture, Topic: OCT Imaging.
- ARVO Annual meeting, April 2004: Special Interest Group: Advances in Ocular Imaging of Macular Diseases, lecture, Topic:Advances in the OCT Ophthalmoscope. Special Interest Group: Advances in Retinal Imaging, lecture, Topic: OCT Imaging. Posters: Gross et al. & Brucker,Gross et al. The Nature & Risk of Neovascularization in the Fellow Eye of Patients with Retinal Angiomatous Proliferation.
- Retina Society Annual Meeting, September 2004: lecture, Topic: The Nature & Risk of Neovascularization in the Fellow Eye of Patients with Unilateral Retinal Angiomatous Proliferation.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, October 2004: lecture, Topic: The Nature & Risk of Neovascularization in the Fellow Eye of Patients with Unilateral Retinal Angiomatous Proliferation. Lecture, Topic: Multiple Evanscent White Dot Syndrome.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, October 2004: Clinical Course in Optical Coherence Tomography, Topic: Limitations in OCT-3 Imaging. American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, October 2005: Clinical Course in Optical Coherence Tomography, Topic: Limitations in OCT-3 Imaging.